Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Mini-Tour of Alaska...Part One

Back in early June, the account manager from a finance company that my employer uses came to town for a few days to perform an audit.  We have worked together (over the phone) for probably nine or ten years.  Her name is Tami.  Here she is:


(Hi Tami!)

Tami has been to Alaska before, but always on business and always in the winter.  She was very excited to be able to come in the summer and wanted me to show her the sights! 


Her number one goal while she was here was to see a glacier.  We headed south of town along the scenic Seward Highway to Portage Glacier.
Along the way, we saw some Dall Sheep and Bald Eagles:
When we got to Portage Glacier, we went on a one hour boat tour to see the glacier.  Would you believe I've lived in Anchorage for 25 years and have never done this boat trip before?  As a matter of fact, the last time I visited Portage Glacier, you could still see the glacier from the shore of the lake.  You can't see it from the shore anymore because it melted!




After we cruised the glacier, we headed across the highway to the drive-thru wildlife park:
All in all, I'd say we had a pretty fantastic day.  We were fortunate to have beautiful weather and we saw lots of wildlife.  (A pretty rare combo in Alaska!) 
I have tons more photos to share, but I have to get them organized and processed first!  I'll be posting part 2 of our big adventure soon!

Photobucket

2 comments:

MT said...

So glad to see you back blogging. Thanks for the mini tour pics are beautiful. I'm doing a bible study(Ruth)and Proverbs19:21 was a reference scripture in my lesson today. We can make all the plans we want to but it's God who decides the yes or no.
Will remember your boss as he recovers.
Have a great week1

Rachel said...

Amen to that :-)
Hi Martha! It's good to be back. I'll be posting full-size pictures of the June trip, plus some more from another trip when I get done sorting and processing them with my laptop. I can't wait to share them! Thank you for reading my blog.