Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What If You Had A Contest And Nobody Entered?

It is now 7:40 pm, 20 minutes until the close of my very first contest.  I'm trying not to cry.  I have concluded that my experiment to see if I could increase traffic to my blog was a HUGE flop!  By the tiny amount of blog hits I've had since I annouced this contest, you'd think I was giving away salmonella cakes as the grand prize.  (I really wanted to put an exclamation point at the end of that last sentence, but I am trying to break myself of the bad habit!)

Ok, I exaggerated.  One person entered.  One?  Yes, one.  But they didn't leave their name!  I guess I should have specified that at least first names were required!  Well, lucky Anonymous in Pine Bluff Arkansas, looks like you have a butterfly book and a Bible coming your way!  Please email me at biblesforanchorage (at) yahoo(dot)com to claim your prize!  Be prepared to answer a question only you would know the answer to (in order to confirm you are the person who left the comment).

In light of the fact that I have yet to receive my 1,000th blog visitor and during the contest I had numerous computer problems, including problems with comments, and I hurt my back while shoveling snow yesterday......I have decided to revive the contest!  I think I will do something to sweeten the pot.  I will announce details of the new contest here Friday night. 

Now, in other news, it looks like I owe Mr. Gore an apology.   Ever since I made fun of him on this post, it has snowed like crazy in Anchorage!  Like three feet a day.  I'm kidding!  Just checking to make sure you are awake.  Really though, it did start snowing.  Here's a picture of the roads on Saturday night when we were on our way to the Mercy Me concert:

I knew it was snowing when I went to bed Monday night.  And I wasn't kidding in my Al Gore post when I said that I get up in the morning and look out the window at my car to see how much snow has accumulated.  I do this so I know how much time I need to allot to the task of removing the snow from my vehicle prior to driving it (for those of you in warm, non-snowy climates who are not familiar with this concept!).  So, true to my nature, I got up Tuesday morning and looked out the window to see this:

Not bad, right?  That's what I thought too.  So I went about my morning doing those things that I do to get ready for work.  Then I opened my front door and discovered that we had a little blizzard of sorts overnight.  I just didn't know it because the wind had blown and most of the snow had drifted, hence very little snow on my car.  The walkway out of my front door all the way to the car was packed in with snow.  And I do mean packed! 

Now, remember, all the winter's snow had already melted completely off my walkway during our unusual tropical February this year.
There's normally a nice, shovled walkway out to the driveway here, but yesterday, this is what I saw when I was leaving for work:



It was up to my knees ya'll!  I'm not kidding, it was pretty bad.  Not the worst I've ever seen, but still.   So, I was by this time, running late for work, but I had to shovel a path.  I made it as far as just past the end of the house (in the foreground on the left) right before I hurt my back.


Thankfully, later that evening, my nice neighbor came over and plowed me out with his snow blower.  I would have taken a picture, but running around getting my camera gear out and then getting bundled up to go outside while he was plowing was not necessarily my biggest priority at that point.  

Fortunately, I'm feeling better today and I was able to take a picture of the difference after the nice job my neighbor did (but I didn't think about taking the pic until after dark!):

My neighbor and his wife are going to get some of Pioneer Woman's Buttered Rosemary (without the Rosemary cuz my husband doesn't like it) Rolls this weekend.  Thanks Paul & Svea!!!  I wouldn't have made it to my car without you!!  You guys are gonna love the rolls.

By the way, last time I checked the temp outside, it was 2 degrees.  It is not supposed to be this cold in March!  I think God has a great sense of humor and must be laughing at me pretty good right now!

And that's all I have to say about that.


Photobucket

1 comments:

MT said...

I've made those rolls............really good. I use the rosemary. Isn't it great to have good neighbors.